Thursday, August 6

Life & Food


I've mentioned before on Oh, Cecilia that I have a wide variety of allergies, including food. Wheat, lactose, certain fruits, pecans, maple and on and on. In addition to causing typical allergy problems ranging from asthma, hives, the potential for anaphylaxis, problems with blood circulation-- my food allergies also call a host of...interesting...digestive problems. The most interesting side effect is that if I eat foods I'm allergic to, my body will respond by not absorbing vitamins or minerals, similar to what happens to those suffering from Celiac Disease. Inconveniently, I won't have any idea its happening until I start suffering side effects, like vitamin deficiency anemia; and by then the damage takes months to repair. All of this medical history is to show why I'm such supplement devotee. To hedge my bets I take several vitamins on the daily. A regular multivitamin, iron, two kinds of calcium, D3 and Omega-3 fish oil.

According to the Mayo Clinic:

"Omega-3 fatty acids are thought to provide a wide range of health benefits, including a lower risk of coronary heart disease and improvement in cholesterol. There have also been promising results from studies looking at omega-3 for cancer, depression, and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Due to these potential health benefits, fish oil, which is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, has become a popular supplement. There is evidence that recommended amounts of DHA and EPA, taken as fish or fish oil supplements, may lower triglycerides and reduce the risk of heart attack, abnormal heartbeat, and stroke in people who have heart disorders. DHA and EPA may also benefit people who have hardening of the arteries or high blood pressure. Similar effects have been found for ALA, but more evidence is needed to support its potential benefits."
The Clinic also notes that Americans tend to run higher on Omega-6, and lower on Omega-3. Increased Omega-6 "have been linked to an increased risk of some conditions such as heart disease and depression."

So there.

All of this is why, when Life & Food offered me a free bottle of their Omega-3 Supreme Advantage in exchange for my honest review, I jumped at the chance.  I've been taking their supplement for almost a week now, and feel qualified to give a full thumb's up review.  I've put the specific nutritional information in my post script, but suffice it to say it more than measures up-- including using certified sustainable sources for the oil and being gluten free (never a bad thing).  Notably, they go down smooth without a fishy aftertaste.   I'll definitely make Life & Food's Omea-3 Supreme Advantage my regular fish oil supplement-- and given all the health benefits, I think you should do the same--   

Which vitamins and supplements do you take on the regular?


post signature











The Fine Print:
Life & Food Omega-3 Supreme Advantage 
○ Highly concentrated and pure, pharmaceutical grade (above 75% Omega-3)
○ 644/336 EPA/DHA levels (Meeting GOED standards).
○ Fish Oil concentrate made from IFOS 5-star certified fish oils (raw material).
○ Contains the minimum recommended 1,000 mg (1g) of Omega-3s per serving.
○ Sourced from wild Alaskan caught Pollock. Sustainable and certified operation by MSC.
○ USA Manufactured and laboratory tested in FDA, GMP, NSF certified facilities.
○ Molecularly distilled, clean refined and tested. 

○ Easy to swallow soft gelatin capsules.
○ Enteric coated for max absorption and no fish burps.


I was given Life & Food Omega-3 Supreme Advantage to try in exchange for my unfiltered, fair and honest review.  All the opinions stated in this post are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think in the comments below-- and don't forget to leave a link back to your own blog or google+ page- I'd love to follow along on your adventures!