Friday, August 8

Salad Days

A summer not too long ago and almost forever away I worked in a country club kitchen.  My Dad is a golf pro (now retired) among other amazing things, and he got me the gig.  The great irony of it all is that I don't cook.  I can follow a recipe, I just don't want to-- I resent cooking, but I enjoy food.


The chef was a huge personality with a thick Eastern European accent and for whatever reason he took pity on me.  He set me up making salads and plating desserts at the back of the kitchen where I could observe the action without risking major injury.That said, I did manage to pour a restaurant sized jug of olive oil on my head.  It was on a high shelf and the lid was loose.  Good times.

My favorite task, next to brulee-ing things, was making the signature salad of the club.  It is delicious.
You'll need:
  • spring mix or a 50/50 blend 
  • crushed walnuts
  • cherry or grape tomatoes
  • seedless red grapes
  • good quality blue cheese.


Slice the grapes in half, quarter the tomatoes and chuck in the walnuts and cheese to taste, then toss.


The dressing is an important part, and its very simple.  Of course, in the kitchen the chef made the poppy seed base from scratch, but for home cooking the bottled works fine.  Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce-- just enough to turn the dressing a nice creamy color.



Right before serving, add the dressing to the salad.  If you have a pot lid big enough to cover your salad bowl, hold the edges to the bowl and physically shake it back and forth-- it coats the salad very neatly and it less salad ends up on the counter, assuming you hold the lid tight.


Add a little fresh ground pepper to each serving, then enjoy.

We've been eating a lot of salads this summer.  I'd love to report that I've shed the last 5 pounds I've been meaning to unload, but alas no.  I did say we've been eating a lot of salad.  Ah well, no regrets!

Mangia Bene!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think in the comments below-- and don't forget to leave a link back to your own blog or google+ page- I'd love to follow along on your adventures!